Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8135-JEAZER-004
Workplace : VILLEJUIF
Date of publication : Monday, October 07, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 6 January 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : from 2140 € gross according to experience
Desired level of education : 4-year university degree
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The Speechreporting project focuses on different aspects of the grammar of speech reporting constructions and their use in narrative discourse. We are especially interested in African languages as well as Turkic languages spoken in Russia. You can read more about the project here: https://sites.google.com/view/speechreporting/about-the-project .
The assistant is expected to collect and analyze data in one or more languages that are of interest to the project, develop an annotated corpus of narrative texts, and possibly conduct their own fieldwork to explore various aspects of discourse reporting in the language(s) in question.
- fieldwork to collect data in one or more languages that are of interest to the project
- data analysis on discourse reporting
- development of an annotated corpus of narrative texts
- An MA degree in Linguistics or Anthropology (or expect to have successfully defended prior to
joining the project);
- Fluent English and at least minimal knowledge of French (or willingness to learn French);
- Ability and willingness to work in a team;
- Willingness to pursue a PhD degree with a project-related topic (strongly preferred);
- Previous fieldwork experience and willingness to conduct own fieldwork (strongly preferred);
- Previous experience with ELAN/Toolbox and Praat and/or computational skills (strongly preferred).
Candidates who have recently received an MA degree or are currently in their last year of an MA program are especially encouraged to apply, with the view of developing a project that will lead them to pursue a PhD degree. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to demonstrate serious interest in developing a proposal for a PhD thesis.
The position is funded by a grant from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No 758232).
The researcher will be affiliated with LLACAN, a vibrant community of experts in African languages and linguistics. LLACAN is conveniently located in the southern suburbs of Paris (reachable by metro and other public transport). Further information about the department can be found at http://llacan.vjf.cnrs.fr/index_en.php .
The position is for two years, renewable upon budgetary approval. We also provide funding for fieldwork and conference travel, shared office space and technical support.
Applicants should submit a single .pdf file containing the following items:
- A cover letter;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A research proposal on any aspect of speech reporting related to the project (see the project
description https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbgUf5WYm0sCAoC8FOJU2r_ApaBnHlGn/view );
- Up to two publication samples or recent drafts (including the MA thesis if already available);
- The names of three referees who are familiar with the applicant's research and willing to provide a confidential reference letter upon request;
- An MA transcript or a statement on courses taken.
We talk about it on Twitter!