Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8607-SYLFAL-042
Workplace : ORSAY
Date of publication : Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2617 - 3017 € gross monthly
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The postdoctoral researcher will be part of the ATLAS group and will be a driving contributor in two areas in equal parts :
-- a precision measurement of the vector boson scattering (VBS) with the full Run 2 data set and interpretation of the results in terms of Effective Field Theory (EFT). This topic is an emerging activity where the group has various expertises;
-- involvement to the production of the pixel detector of the future inner tracker of ATLAS (ITk) in view of the high-luminosity phase of the LHC (HL-LHC). The LAL group has been qualified by ATLAS to be one of the ITk production sites and the timeline of the contract coincides with the consolidation of the pre-production phase, where several pixel modules will be produced and characterized in LAL.
- Optimization of jet reconstruction;
- Adapt and apply novel machine learning techniques in the context of the VBS analysis;
- Result interpretation using EFTs;
- Conduct original research independently and collaboratively;
- Electrical and thermal characterization of pixel planar sensors and modules using LAL resources (probe station, climate chamber, clean room, etc);
- Pixel modules characterization by performing test beam analysis;
- Testing of ITk readout chip in close collaboration with the LAL engineers;
- Work in collaboration with LAL members and french and international partners working on similar or related scientific problems;
- Prepare research articles for publication;
- Present the work at scientific conferences, workshops and seminars.
- PhD in experimental high-energy physics in analysis or hardware topics, absolutely obtained after september 2016;
- Research skills demonstrated by a leading contribution to a high-level physics analysis; - Good knowledge of C++, Python and in particular of the ROOT analysis software;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
The hosting team is part of the Laboratoire de l'Accélérateur Linéaire (https://www.lal.in2p3.fr/) , located at the south of Paris, in the Campus of Université Paris-Sud of Paris-Saclay (https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/fr). The group is composed by 16 permanent physicists and 3 emeritus. Ten students at different levels of their PhD preparation are also members of the group and two Post-Doc contracts will be finished during this year. The group has had leading contributions since the launch of ATLAS to the electromagnetic calorimeter and to the analyses that allowed the discovery and study of the Higgs boson. Many members of the group have had organization positions within ATLAS, as project leaders or analysis and performances groups conveners at various levels.
Currently, three Upgrade projects are driven in parallel for the High Luminosity phase of LHC (2026->2036), concerning the liquid argon calorimeter electronics, the HGTD (timing detector) and the pixel detector of the ITK. The physicists involved in those activities collaborate with engineers and technicians of the laboratory and of the Omega pole. The physics topics of interest of the group currently are related to Higgs boson studies, searches of new physics beyond the Standard Model, and precision electro-weak measurements (W boson mass measurement and vector boson scattering).
We talk about it on Twitter!