Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8102-CATBOI-002
Workplace : MEUDON
Date of publication : Friday, July 31, 2020
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 October 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : between 2600 and 3500 gross monthly according to experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The Observatoire de Paris is involved in the construction of the Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA), an international initiative to build the world's largest and most sensitive high-energy gamma-ray observatory.
The scientific group PHE (Phénomènes des Hautes Energies) at LUTH participates in ESCAPE by contributing to:
- the definition and implementation of standards within the framework of the CEVO (Connecting ESFRI projects to EOSC through VO framework) ESCAPE work package, in order to make CTA data products and software Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR), in relation with the International Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA),
- the development, within ESAP (ESCAPE Science Analysis Platform), of the user interface and interactive data analysis in connection to the VO.
The work will be carried out in close collaboration with contributors from the CTA Consortium and the ESCAPE partners.
The precise work will depend on the interests and experience of the person recruited.
This involves contributing to the design and testing of parts of an ESCAPE Science Analysis Platform (ESAP) prototype for CTA that will enable the connection between CTA's scientific archives and the ESAP user interface, ensuring compatibility with the Virtual Observatory.
Candidates should have good experience in software development and object-oriented programming, languages (Python, C ++) and the use of APIs.
Experience and interest in one or more of the following areas would be relevant:
- Experience with web application frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask)
- Experience with continuous integration (eg Gitlab) and continuous deployment solutions (eg Docker)
- Knowledge of scientific analysis platform technologies (for example Jupyter Hub)
An excellent level of English is required, as well as the ability to work with large teams in an international environment.
The laboratory Laboratoire de lUnivers et de ses Théories(LUTH) is a joint research unit (UMR 8102) of the CNRS, the Paris Observatory and the University of Paris and has its premises in the superb park of the Château de Meudon. The laboratory brings together around fifty people. The scientific activity of the laboratory focuses mainly on the theoretical study of astrophysical systems and their modeling. Part of the activities also concerns the processing of data from high-energy observations.
LUTH will provide all the necessary resources (office, workstation, scientific environment, travel budget) to carry out this work within the Phenomena des Hautes Energies team.
Constraints and risks
Travel: short trips are to be expected in France and abroad.
Applications must include:
- a CV,
- a list of publications,
- a cover letter describing the candidate's interest in the post to be filled and the relationship with his previous experiences (maximum 3 pages).
For more information, you can consult the project's websites (www.cta-observatory.org and https://projectescape.eu/), or contact Mathieu Servillat (email@example.com).
We talk about it on Twitter!