Reference : UMR7326-ANAMEK-048
Workplace : MARSEILLE 13
Date of publication : Thursday, September 15, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 January 2023
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2 889,51 € to 4 541,08 € gross/month, depending on experience.
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The iMAGE project aims to study massive galaxies in the primordial Universe up to z=2, by combining imaging data acquired with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST, NASA/ESA), cosmological simulations and new machine learning methods.
The mission of the researcher fellow consists in the scientific exploitation of the COSMOS-Web survey, the largest extra-galactic survey scheduled for 2022-2023 with JWST. The mission is focused on the observational side of the project, using the JWST data to gain new insights into the physics that governs both the assembly of stellar mass and the morphological transformations of massive galaxies in the first three billion years of the Universe.
- Characterization of large samples of galaxies from JWST data (SED-fitting, morphology, use of learning methods, etc) ;
- Development of new software for scientific analysis, if needed ;
- Statistical analysis and study of biases ;
- Scientific exploitation and interpretation of results ;
- Production of scientific publications and conference presentations.
- Research experience in extra-galactic. A specialization on the theme of galaxy formation and evolution is expected, with a strong observational component.
- The ability to work in an international environment, to be reactive in exchanges with the rest of the team.
- The ability to communicate scientific results in the form of publications in peer-reviewed journals and in international conferences.
COSMOS-Web is an international team of >100 permanent researchers, post-docs, PhD students, mainly in the US and Europe. The researcher will be in contact with this team, with weekly teleconferences and an annual meeting.
This project is funded by the ANR iMAGE, which starts in December 2022. This ANR includes researchers from the Laboratoire d'Astrophysique de Marseille (LAM) and the Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris (IAP). The researcher will work closely with the members of the ANR iMAGE, in particular with O. Ilbert and C. Laigle, and several researchers specialized in extra-galactic (observations and simulations) and in statistics.
ANR members and our laboratories (LAM and IAP) are strongly involved in several JWST projects (COSMOS-Web, PRIMER and GTO-MIRI) as well as in the largest current cosmological surveys (Euclid, PFS-SuMIRe, LSST). Scientific collaborations are also possible on these projects.
The position will be based at LAM (Marseille, France). The LAM has research and training facilities in observational, instrumental and theoretical astronomy. It is actively involved in space and ground-based instrumentation and astronomical studies. Funding is reserved for missions abroad and for computer equipment. Access to computing clusters is provided.
Constraints and risks
Travel is required to promote the results obtained and to interact with an international team (COSMOS-Web). Frequent visits to IAP (Paris) are expected.
The duration of the contract is 12 months, renewable twice (36 months).
The start date is negotiable, with a preference for the period January-June 2023.
The research project must contain : brief summary of previous research, a statement of current research interests (4 pages) and a list of publications.
We talk about it on Twitter!