Reference : UMR5822-FLOJAC-050
Workplace : VILLEURBANNE
Date of publication : Thursday, May 12, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : approximately between 2,100 and 2,600 € gross monthly (depending on experience)
Desired level of education : Engineer
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The Institut de Physique des Deux Infinis (IP2I) in Lyon is opening a position to support the software activities of the Euclid mission (see Context).
The main mission is related to the data processing of the NISP (Near-Infrared Spectro-Photometer) instrument of Euclid, more specifically to the software development of the spectroscopy data reduction pipeline (OU-SIR) in the computing environment Euclid, and in close collaboration with the other entities of the consortium (Mission Data Base, Instrument Model, Data Model, etc.). You will also be asked to participate in the scientific animation of the SIR group, by proposing and testing new reduction algorithms, as well as in software PA/QA follow-up.
The other mission is focused on the preparation of the instrument calibration activities, at the detector and spectroscopic levels, in preparation for the performance verification phase of the NISP instrument after the launch of the satellite.
The main activities of the recruited person will be:
• development, integration and validation of the SIR pipeline within the Euclid software architecture;
• implementation and monitoring of continuous integration and PA/QA procedures,
• processing and analysis of characterization data from IR detectors and the NISP instrument,
• interfacing to the instrument model.
The candidate must have:
• a degree in Physics, Astrophysics or Engineering from a computer school,
• good experience in software development and scientific computing,
• a good knowledge of the Python programming language, and in particular of numerical libraries (numpy/scipy); knowledge of the C++ language will be an asset,
• knowledge of software quality, test management and automation, continuous integration,
• proficiency in the Linux/Unix operating system and virtual machines,
• the ability to work within an international and English-speaking team.
Experience in astronomy/cosmology data reduction and analysis will be a plus.
The Institut de Physique des Deux Infinis (IP2I) in Lyon is involved in the preparation of the EUCLID observational cosmology space mission, piloted by ESA and whose launch is scheduled for 2023. In collaboration with the other laboratories of the consortium, the IP2I contributes to various instrumental and Science Ground Segment (SGS) level tasks for the spectroscopic part of the Near Infrared Spectro-Photometer (NISP) instrument.
The candidate will work within the Cosmos/Euclid team, which notably has important responsibilities in the development of the slitless spectroscopic data pipeline (OU-SIR) and in the processing of characterization and calibration data of the NISP instrument ( IR and optical detectors).
Possibility of extending the contract for up to 24 months.
We talk about it on Twitter!