Reference : UMR5560-BASSAU-004
Nombre de Postes : 1
Workplace : TOULOUSE
Date of publication : Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 March 2023
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : between 2583 and 2768€ gross per month depending on experience and diploma.
Desired level of education : 5-year university degree
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The role of the engineer will be to finalize the development of a new digital tool, its testing and validation, that has been developed in the framework of the French project SOLID (Space-based Optical LIghtning Detection; financed by CNES) and the European Research Infrastructure (IR) IAGOS (In-service Aircraft for a Global Observing System). This tool generates new products with high added value by merging the IAGOS airborne observations with observations from ground-based and space-borne lightning detection instruments through the use of the Lagrangian model FLEXPART . He/she will work under the direction of the scientists in charge of the SOLID project and the IAGOS IR, as well as under the direction of the Research Engineer in charge of the numerical tools and product production of the IAGOS Data Centre (https://iagos.aeris-data.fr/).
- Verification of the systematic use of lightning data from GLM spaceborne sensors available from the AERIS data centre and then from the NLDN terrestrial network;
- Verification of the systematic use of airborne nitrogen oxides (NOx) observations from the IAGOS IR;
- Verification of the systematic use of recent ERA5 data from ECMWF;
- Finalize the development of the digital coupling tool SOFT-IO-Li (Lagrangian model FLEXPART/Lightning detection systems/IAGOS) and deployment of the production chain for "lightning" products;
- Realization of tests and participation in the technical choices;
- Drafting and updating of the documentation of the various tools developed and work carried out;
- Synthetic presentation of the progress of the work during the project meetings;
- Work in close collaboration with the scientific managers of the SOLID and IAGOS projects, and the head of the numerical tools engineering department of the IR IAGOS;
- Work in collaboration with the members of IR IAGOS (in France and Europe), AERIS/SEDOO and the SOLID project;
- Participation in working meetings in a national framework (IAGOS, AERIS);
- Participation in meetings of the IAGOS and SOLID projects in an international framework (travel of several days per year to be planned in Europe and potentially in the United States).
- Minimum Master degree + 5 years in computer development with significant experience in scientific computing;
- Good written and spoken English;
- Required knowledge in the following areas:
o Mastery of a programming language (C, Python);
o Environment: Linux ;
o Tools: GIT, continuous integration.
- Appreciated knowledge :
o Parallel computing tool;
o Knowledge of the Fortran language;
o scientific language (Python, Matlab).
- Autonomy, interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
- Knowledge of atmospheric physics and chemistry (meteorology, pollution) would be a plus.
Laboratoire d'Aérologie (LAero) is recruiting a computer engineer to ensure digital developments in support of studies of the impact of the electrical activity of thunderstorms on the chemistry of the atmosphere. This work will be carried out within the LEETCHIE and MECANO teams of the LAero on the campus of the Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées in Toulouse.
IAGOS is a European Research Infrastructure aiming to set up, in collaboration with airlines, a network of about twenty airliners equipped with fully automatic instrumentation dedicated to the collection of observations of atmospheric composition and climate monitoring. The IAGOS data center is managed by the Data Service of the Midi-Pyrénées Observatory (SEDOO). The SOLID project, supported by CNES since 2015, aims, among other topics, to prepare for the use of future lightning observations from geostationary satellites and, more specifically, the optical LI (Lightning Imager) imagers from the MTG (Meteosat Third Generation) programme.
As part of the SOLID project, the IAGOS Data Centre has to develop a tool to characterize the electrical activity of storms and its chemical signature in the Earth's atmosphere to deliver products and services to the scientific community.
Aerology Laboratory website: http://www.aero.obs-mip.fr/
IAGOS information site: https://www.iagos.org/
IAGOS Data Portal: http://www.iagos-data.fr
AERIS data portal: https://www.aeris-data.fr/catalogue/
Website of the ENVRI community (including ENVRI-FAIR): https://envri.eu
GLM data portal: https://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/lightning/overview_glm.html
Scientific contacts: Bastien Sauvage (firstname.lastname@example.org), Eric Defer (email@example.com)
Contact responsible for digital tools: Pawel Wolff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Constraints and risks
The person recruited will be required to attend technical and scientific meetings (in English) several days a year in Europe and potentially in the United States.
We talk about it on Twitter!