Reference : UAR3266-VIRLEF-040
Workplace : CAEN
Date of publication : Friday, June 17, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 October 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2690 € to 3821 gross monthly depending on experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The candidate will setup a research program at GANIL based on high-precision beta-decay measurements allowing to test the Standard Model of the weak interaction. The candidate will also participate in the operation of the LISE spectrometer at GANIL, in close collaboration with the staff in charge of its operation.
- Evaluation of the best radioactive nuclei candidates for studies to be proposed at the SPIRAL and/or LISE GANIL facilities in the framework of the test of the Standard Model of the weak interaction,
- Data analysis and dissemination of the results of an experiment previously performed at LISE,
- Development of a decay station based on an existing tape-drive system dedicated to measurements to be performed at LISE.
- Participation to the preparation and the running of experiments at LISE,
- Participation in laboratory activities (dissemination of scientific knowledge to a general public in particular),
- Interactions with other postdocs and students.
Field of competence: Experimental nuclear physics
- Expertise in nuclear spectroscopy techniques: detector operation, associated electronics and data acquisition systems,
- Experience in data analysis and simulations,
- Competences in C++, Root and Geant4 would be added values.
The "Grand Accélérateur d'Ions Lourds" is today one of the four largest research laboratories in the world dedicated to research using ion beams. The fields of research range from radiotherapy to the physics of the atom and its nucleus, and from condensed matter to astrophysics. In the field of nuclear physics, GANIL has made numerous discoveries on the structure of atomic nuclei, in particular on the so-called "exotic" nuclei not found naturally on Earth.
GANIL (about 280 people) is located in France, in the city of Caen, in Normandy. It is jointly managed, within an Economic Interest Group (EIG), by the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA/DRF) and the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS/IN2P3). As a national host laboratory, GANIL serves the national, European and international scientific community.
Within the DPHY division, the post-doctoral researcher will be integrated in the research team around the LISE spectrometer. Activities will be performed in collaboration with the CENBG and LPC Caen laboratories, in the framework of ISOL France. GANIL's ambition is to play a major role in weak interaction studies given the unique character of the possibilities offered by the LISE and SPIRAL facilties compared to competing equipment. The proposed research topic is also a major axis of researches to be carried out in the future with the S3 and DESIR equipment built in the framework of SPIRAL2.
The candidate recruited by the CNRS will benefit from certain advantages related to the restaurant on site (employer's contribution to the price of the meal), a number of vacations related to the derogatory status of GIE GANIL of the order of 53 days (32 CA and 21 JRTT) , and advantages related to the actions of the GANIL social action committee. The weekly working rhythm is 40h/week, i.e. 8.25am - 5.10pm with a 45 minutes lunch break.
Applicants must provide the following documents:
- a CV, including a list of publications and detailing the individual contribution to the publications,
- a cover letter stating motivations for the position including a short description of research interests and projects (2-3 pages).
Constraints and risks
The position is eligible for special work constraints related to exposure to ionizing radiation, the candidate must be able to work in a supervised and controlled area in compliance with the regulations and procedures applicable to nuclear safety and security.
The candidate may be asked to work outside normal working hours for the purposes of the experiments.
The candidate must have completed his/her PhD in a laboratory other than GANIL.
We talk about it on Twitter!