Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UPR8001-GUIALM-001
Workplace : TOULOUSE
Date of publication : Thursday, August 01, 2019
Scientific Responsible name : Guilhem Almuneau
Type of Contract : PhD Student contract / Thesis offer
Contract Period : 36 months
Start date of the thesis : 1 January 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2 135,00 € gross monthly
Description of the thesis topic
This thesis aims to develop laser source technology with a low cost and low energy consumption for short range ultra high-speed optical communication links. This new approach will enable to go beyond the actual performances of directly current-modulated VCSELs. The main objective is to develop a laser device enabling transmission rates up to 100Gb/s per channel under operating conditions and environmental requirements as set by relevant applications. The PhD student will work on an innovative approach consisting in the monolithic vertical integration of an electro-absorptive modulation structure on top of a VCSEL. By decoupling the electrical and optical designs of the modulator from the laser, one can optimize the ultra-high speed performances (30-100GHz).
This multidisciplinary thesis will include research studies on semiconductor technology, on the device design and on the characterization of photonic devices in the microwave domain. It leans on the complementary expertise of two research groups in LAAS-CNRS (Photonics and MOST teams).
This PhD work will take place in the frame of an ANR project with several European academic and industrial partners.
Constraints and risks
The thesis will be related to the GEET doctoral school of University Toulouse.
The PhD work will carried out in part in a cleanroom area for which a specific formation program is provided on security and cleanroom work.
- Degree in engineering and/or a Masters in electronic and materials engineering and/or applied physics.
- Sound knowledge on optoelectronic devices, semiconductor physics, and microwave
- Knowledge and skills on microelectronic technology will be an asset
- A high level of communication skills, both oral and written (French and English required) to be able to present at meeting, conferences and to write articles in scientific publications
- We are looking for a PhD fellow who will be able to become fully involved with the project, with a thirst for knowledge, a certain independence of thought and strong motivation to develop skills in photonics in the field of optical devices for high speed datacom links.
- Ability to work in a team on multi-disciplinary projects
Applications must include a detailed CV; at least two references (people who may be contacted); a cover letter of one page; grades for the Masters 1 or 2 or the engineering degree).The closing date for sending applications is 30/11/2019.
We talk about it on Twitter!