Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMI3189-MARLAU-001
Workplace : MARSEILLE 06
Date of publication : Tuesday, October 08, 2019
Scientific Responsible name : Aliou GUISSE / Martine HOSSAERT
Type of Contract : PhD Student contract / Thesis offer
Contract Period : 36 months
Start date of the thesis : 1 December 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2 135,00 € gross monthly
Description of the thesis topic
The main theme of this PhD thesis concerns the dynamics of vegetation and plant-animal interactions in the Sahelian zone of Ferlo (Senegal). This thesis will consist of an ecological study of the socio-ecosystems of the Great Green Wall along two axes:
1.The dynamics of the plant populations of the implanted species will be analysed through:
- vegetation monitoring work: inventory of three sites representative of Sahelian ecosystems (vegetation surveys, dendrometric studies using conventional methods and drones, etc.), monitoring of reforested plots, from seed selection to interannual plant growth. Analysis of the differential success rates between natural and experimental plots, between inoculated and uninoculated plants, between watered and unwatered plants, etc.
- surveys to be carried out at the level of local populations on plant species that have existed in the area, and the reasons for their disappearance (climatic, anthropogenic causes, etc.).
2.Plant-animal interactions will be described according to:
- the types of interactions
- the chemical aspects of these interactions: composition and chemical properties of leaves and other plant organs (biochemistry, composition of organs: leaves, bark, roots...)
The doctoral registration school will be that of the Integrated Systems in Biology, Agronomy, Geosciences, Hydrosciences, Environment of Montpellier, specializing in Ecology and Biodiversity. The host laboratory will be UMI 3189, in collaboration with CEFE. The host team will be the CEFE IBiotics team in France and the team from the Vegetal Ecology and Hydro-ecology Laboratory of the Cheikh Anta Diop University in Dakar, Senegal. The doctoral student will work in collaboration with the National Agency of the Great Green Wall in Senegal.
Constraints and risks
The doctoral student will carry out regular missions of a maximum duration of 3 months in Senegal, in the Senegalese Ferlo, in order to follow the implementation of reforestation plots of the Great Green Wall.
The expected disciplinary skills are as follows (Master 2 degree or equivalent):
- Population dynamics
- Plant-plant, plant-animal, and especially plant-insect interactions
Knowledge of chemical ecology would be a plus.
Fluency in spoken/written/read English
Proficiency in spoken/written/read French
Strong autonomy and motivation
We talk about it on Twitter!