Reference : UMR9221-MARROM-003
Workplace : LILLE
Date of publication : Monday, May 2, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 3 099,75 € brut
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
Scholars have begun to investigate leadership emergence in virtual teams. This emerging literature proposes that leadership emergence in virtual teams works somewhat differently than that in face-to-face teams (Yoo & Alavi, 2004). However, the extant research investigating leadership emergence in virtual teams has some serious shortcomings. First, several published studies have studied the phenomenon of leadership emergence in behavioral laboratories. While these studies have been useful to produce novel insights into how individuals elect leaders, their results may not be generalizable to other populations. Second, and most importantly, the overwhelming majority of published studies investigating leadership emergence in virtual teams restrict members interactions to instant messengers and email. In other words, to the best of our knowledge we have been unable to find studies that investigate virtual teams that interact with each other replicating the actual conditions that employees utilize nowadays (i.e., utilizing high quality video conference software).
We have been collecting team data since before the start of the pandemic utilizing different methods (both traditional and innovative). Our data gathering procedures have been conducted with the idea of better understanding leadership emergence and leadership development in virtual, hybrid, and face-to-face teams. Our goal for this project is to have a holistic and comprehensive approach to the investigation of our research topic.
The objective of the post-doctorate will be to contribute to our understanding on leadership emergence in the post covid context.
-One of the initial activities for the post doc would be to help our (currently undergoing effort) in compiling a database with all the data we have gather. We have gathered multiple waves of survey data. Additionally, for each team member, we have also collected multiple entries of video diaries (i.e., vlog) where they answer the question “why should anyone be led by me?” These videos can be codified for subsequent data analysis utilizing more traditional regression methods. In addition to these vlogs, we have self- and peer-evaluation survey data of those videos as well as written accounts (i.e., reflections) of each team members about their leadership development.
We do not see this project as a “one-paper-project” but as an ongoing research agenda from which we expect to publish multiple several papers. Consequently, given that we have gathered both quantitative and qualitative data, we are open to work on a quantitative or qualitative research project for this postdoc position. Additionally, there will be room for collaboration on other ongoing research projects within the broad field of leadership
• Assembling and matching the currently disconnected data into a database
• Conduct the appropriate data analysis (qualitative or quantitative)
• Communicate the results (working paper, conference presentation, and journal submission)
• We are looking for a motivated and autonomous individual with a strong training on research methods who seeks to conduct high quality research and is curious about studying leadership from a multidisciplinary perspective.
• The candidate will have a Ph.D. (or be very close to completion) in Management, Organizational Behavior, I/O Psychology, or a related field. They are expected to possess strong empirical and analytical skills and have a commitment to research excellence.
• Applicants should be completely fluent in English. Prior knowledge of French is neither expected nor required.
• We have some degree of flexibility on the types of methodology the applicant may possess. We are open to both qualitative researchers with experience conducting video analysis or quantitative researchers with experience on multi-level methods (e.g., longitudinal 3-level models). Ability to code (in R, Python, etc.) would be considered a plus.
• High-level publications (or papers in advanced editorial stages) in Leadership, supervisor-subordinate relationships, or in related topics will be considered a very valuable asset.
The selected applicant is expected to begin his/her assignment in September 2022 at the latest (an earlier start may be negotiable). The appointment is for 1 year. The candidate will be recruited and employed by the Lille Economy and Management group ["Laboratoire d'accueil: Lille Economie et Mangement, UMR 9221 (https://lem.univ-lille.fr/)], within the track (“Axe”) Management and Organization.
Gross salary is competitive with other European research and academic institutions (3 099,75 €). The researcher will be physically based in one of IESEG's campuses (preferably in Lille, but Paris might be an option also). Teaching is not required during this postdoc but teaching one class might be considered when it aligns with the profile and ambition of the postdoc.
The candidate will be working directly with Profs. Felipe Guzman and Johannes Claeys and will benefit from interactions with other members of the Leadership Center as well as researchers from their external network and researchers affiliated with the LEM research lab UMR 9221.
Constraints and risks
We talk about it on Twitter!