Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8539-ISARIC-021
Workplace : PARIS 05
Date of publication : Thursday, September 05, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 13 months
Expected date of employment : 1 November 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Selon expérience - Grille CNRS
Desired level of education : 5-year university degree
Experience required : Indifferent
The Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique (LMD) offers a position to determine the vertical structure (vertical extent and microphysical properties) as well as the heating rates of upper tropospheric cloud systems and their environment. The goal is to create a comprehensive description of tropical convective systems, needed to advance our understanding of their feedback to climate change, by combining multiple space observations, meteorological reanalysis and artificial intelligence techniques.
- building a 3D data set of tropical upper tropospheric cloud systems and their environment by combining different satellite data (AIRS, IASI, TRMM, CALIPSO-CloudSat) and meteorological reanalysis ERA5 and applying deep learning techniques
- assessment of the laterally extended heating rates with in situ data (ARM)
- analysis of this new climatological data base
- using these data for the evaluation of GCM parameterisations (LMDZ)
- artificial intelligence techniques (deep learning)
- programming in fortran and python
- analysis of big data sets (satellite data and meteorological analysis)
LMD is one of the French leading institutes in atmospheric research and is part of the Institute Pierre Simon Laplace (IPSL). With 150 persons, LMD consists of five scientific research groups. The proposed work will be executed within the group ABC(t) (Atmosphere-Biosphere-Climate by remote sensing), in strong collaboration with the groups EMC3 (Climate and climate change analysis and modelling) and DPAO (Dynamics and physics of the atmosphere and ocean). This work is part of the national projects EECLAT (Expecting Earth-Care, Learning from A-Train) et IASI (Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer), financed by the French Space Agency CNES.
The cloud system analysis concept allows to create a link between the properties of the anvils and convection. This novel process diagnostic has already been successful in developing and evaluating a new bulk ice cloud scheme in the Global Circulation Model of LMD. The new data base will be also very useful in the framework of the international program GEWEX (Global Energy and Water Exchanges), within the working group UTCC PROES (PROcess Evaluation Study on Upper Tropospheric Clouds & Convection, https://gewex-utcc-proes.aeris-data.fr/).
Constraints and risks
We talk about it on Twitter!