Reference : UMR8212-ELIFOU-001
Workplace : GIF SUR YVETTE
Date of publication : Friday, September 23, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 16 months
Expected date of employment : 1 February 2023
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Between 2889.51€ and 3321.55€ gross monthly depending on experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement launches a call for applications for a post-doctoral fellowship in the framework of the ANR ARCA (Atmospheric River Climatology in Antarctica) project, which aims to better understand the role played by atmospheric rivers (extreme moisture fluxes) on the mass balance of the Antarctic ice sheet. One aspect of the project concerns the water isotopes signature of these rivers. The LSCE has installed three laser spectrometry instruments in East Antarctica for continuous monitoring of water isotopes in the vapour, at Dumont d'Urville, at Dome C-Concordia, and in 2022 in the framework of the ANR ARCA at Davis (in collaboration with our Australian colleagues). Precipitation and surface snow samples are also regularly collected at these three sites.
The person hired will be primarily responsible for the processing of the Davis isotopic data (vapor, precipitation and surface snow) and their interpretation. This work will be done in collaboration with other members of the ARCA project who will be able to provide, among other things, identification of atmospheric rivers (algorithm of Wille et al. 2019), meteorological data, YOPP data, etc. Modeling tools will also be used to understand the observed signals (backtrajectories, model outputs including water isotopes). A comparison between the results obtained at Davis and those from other sites will be performed.
- responsible for monitoring the quality of water vapor isotope measurements at the Antarctic base of Davis
- responsible for the calibration and validation of isotopic water vapor data
- analysis of the isotopic data measured on precipitation and surface snow samples
- synthesis of available meteorological data in relation with the interpretation of isotopic signals
- calculation of backtrajectories
- comparison of data with model outputs
- presentations in international conferences and scientific paper writing
- Good knowledge of climate science and geochemistry; experience including water isotopes will be an asset
- Analysis and processing of time series data, if possible in Python
- Proficiency in unix environment, bash scripts, server queue management appreciated
- Fluent in English, written and spoken
- Very good ability to integrate into a research team
The hired person will work within the GLACCIOS team with close interactions with the researchers, engineers and technicians involved in the project as well as with the other ANR ARCA teams (IGE, LOCEAN). Good interactions with researchers from the Australian Antarctic Division and the University of Tasmania will also be important for the project.
Department : http://www.lsce.ipsl.fr/
Research group: https://iceclimiso.cnrs.fr/
ANR ARCA : https://arca.osug.fr/
Constraints and risks
nothing to note
We talk about it on Twitter!