Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8190-HELBRO-004
Workplace : GUYANCOURT
Date of publication : Thursday, January 6, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 April 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2510€ (monthly gross salary for beginner IR level)
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The LATMOS Laboratory (Laboratoire Atmosphères, Observations Spatiales) offers a 12-month research engineer contract in data analysis from Earth observation satellites. This contract is funded by CNES and is proposed within the framework of a NASA atmosphere observation mission program « Atmosphere Observing System » (AOS : https://aos.gsfc.nasa.gov/ ) to which French scientific teams contribute since 2019 through original instruments. This work will take place within the SPACE team of the LATMOS/IPSL laboratory which is carrying this project.
The objective of this contract is to develop a method for the analysis of satellite data for the study of tropical convection. More specifically, the aim is to develop an algorithm for the restitution of cloud parameters (such as the vertical distribution of icy cloud particles or the velocity of the ascents in the heart of the cloud) from simulations of an observation system that is under study.
• Develop, test and implement a measurement inversion algorithm (machine learning) in temporal variations from the tandem system.
• Manipulation of numerical simulations provided by an atmosphere simulation model (French Meso-NH model) coupled with a radiative transfer code (European RTTOV model).
• Qualifying the inversion algorithm in terms of error and uncertainty
• Carry out the necessary tests to obtain usable results
• Writing scientific documentation
• Contribute to the valorisation through oral and written communications
• Work in cooperation with the stakeholders of the C2OMODO / AOS project
The ideal candidate will have skills in atmospheric physics and remote sensing, as well as skills in statistical methods (machine learning) for data analysis. A good level of computer skills is also mandatory
• Experience in the field of geophysics
• Experience in the Linux environment and with CPU / GPU servers
• Knowledge in atmospheric physics, remote sensing
• Knowledge of statistics
• Appreciated knowledge of formats used in geophysics (HDF, NetCDF)
• Mastery of Python or a similar language (Matlab, R)
• Mastery of scientific English
• Ability to work in a team environment, interacting with staff located in different locations.
In the continuity of the scientific studies carried out on the water cycle and tropical clouds through the French-Indian Megha-Tropical satellite (CNES-ISRO), a pair of microwave instruments developed by CNES is proposed in international scientific cooperation to the AOS/NASA program. The C2OMODO project (Convective Core Observation through MicrOwave Derivatives in the trOpics) is based on an innovative concept of observation of the tropical atmosphere with a “little train” of satellites, and thus proposes to carry out measurements spaced 30s to 2min apart, in order to access the vertical movements associated with the development of tropical storm clouds. These rapid temporal variations constitute a new way to observe the development of clouds.
The pair of instruments consists of two microwave sounders of the SAPHIR type (instrument in operation on board the Franco-Indian Megha-Tropical satellite, CNES/ISRO cooperation) in a modified version: observation channels at frequencies 89, 183 and 325GHz for respective ground resolutions of 10, 5 and 3km. Moreover it is envisaged that the frequencies 183 and 325GHz will be sampled in a multi-spectral way.
The specificities of this concept of 2 instruments flying in tandem are being studied within the framework of Research & Technology actions between CNES engineers, private partners (Fluctus SAS), industrials (Airbus Defense and Space) and the team of French scientists from several laboratories (LATMOS, LEGOS, CNRM, LAERO in particular).
Technical environment : Python, R, Linux, NetCDF, HDF, calculation server CPU / GPU
A CV, letter of motivation, at least one letter of recommendation, and possible references are mandatory for the application
We talk about it on Twitter!