Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR8167-INGHOU-001
Workplace : IVRY SUR SEINE
Date of publication : Friday, February 08, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 18 months
Expected date of employment : 1 March 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : around 3000 euros per month gross
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The main mission of the candidate will be to contribute to the renewal, analysis and enhancement of both textual and archaeological sources on the medieval Sahara, particularly central and western, from the 13th and 16th centuries, with a major focus on environmental and climate data.
The candidate will be responsible for a specific research axis and coordinate its work.
The tasks will mainly be:
- collection, analysis and valorisation of textual and archaeological sources through individual and/or collective publications
- active participation in the activities of the laboratory and the medieval Islam team (meetings, seminars, workshops, etc.)
- field missions in Saharan Africa
- participation in conferences and symposia organised as part of the project "Rethinking Medieval Sahara"
- PhD in archaeology on African soil
- skills in textual history and the use of archival data, particularly climatic and environmental data
- field experience
- knowledge of the scientific missions carried out in the Sahara
- compulsory notions in Arabic language
- proficiency in Illustrator and ArcGIS softwar
The candidate will be assigned to the "Medieval Islam" team of the Orient et Méditerranée laboratory (UMR 8167), in Ivry-sur-Seine. This contract is part of the research project "Rethinking the Medieval Sahara (13th-16th century)" directed by I. Houssaye Michienzi (UMR 8167 Orient & Méditerranée, CNRS) and financed by the Emergence(s) programme of the Ville de Paris. The main objective is to propose a new approache on documents of various natures and origins that have often been analysed in a compartmentalized way, or even neglected for Central and Western Sahara, in order to allow the production of a renewed history.
Constraints and risks
The Fellow will have to carry out missions to countries requesting FSD approval (Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania...)
We talk about it on Twitter!