Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7588-REMLAZ-001
Workplace : PARIS 05
Date of publication : Wednesday, June 9, 2021
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 4 October 2021
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 3000Euros (gross amount)
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
Galvanization is a well-known method of protection of steel against corrosion. The requirements of car weight relief push steel industry towards more elaborated steel grades with improved mechanical properties and high contents of light alloying elements. They form oxides at the surface of steel sheets during recrystallization annealing despite the reducing atmosphere of furnaces and prevent the adherence of the protective zinc film as this metal poorly wets them.
In this industrial context, a joint collaboration is running between an academic partner (Institut des NanoSciences de Paris, CNRS/Sorbonne University) and the Maizières-les-Metz research center of ArcelorMittal, a world-wide steel manufacturer. By working on tractable model systems, the idea is to find routes to circumvent this adhesion problem. In the case of the Fe-Al alloy, the present project aims at understanding the role of environment and crystalline orientation in the switch from external to internal oxidation and the impact of the formed oxides on the wettability by zinc. This study will combine a surface science approach beyond the pressure gap on single crystals (INSP) and a material science approach on model alloys annealed in controlled atmosphere (ArcelorMittal).
-Study of the oxidation process of single crystal surfaces (110), (100), (111) of Fe0.85Al0.15 and of polycrystalline alloys from ultra-high vacuum to millibar pressures; analysis by photoemission, scanning tunnelling microscopy and low-energy electron diffraction
- Structural analysis of formed films by grazing X-ray diffraction
- Study, as a function of atmosphere and hydroxylation state, of the wettting by melted zin droplets
- Growth and wetting of zinc on surface oxides as seen by UV-visible spectroscopy
- PhD in physics/chemistry of materials obtained in 2019-2021
- Knowledge of ultra-high vacuum environnement and of the associated techniques (in particular photoemission and near-field microscopy)
- Knowledge of material science techniques (in particular X-ray diffraction)
The contract is in the frame of French state "Plan de Relance". The job will be on two sites:
- Institut des NanoSciences de Paris, CNRS/Sorbonne Université, Equipe "Oxydes en Basses Dimensions"
- ArcelorMittal research center in Maizières-les-Metz (https://corporate.arcelormittal.com/)
We talk about it on Twitter!