Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7550-RODIBA-002
Workplace : STRASBOURG
Date of publication : Thursday, November 21, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Starting from a monthly gross salary of 2643.22€, depending on experience.
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
Applications are invited for a 2+2 years CNRS/ERC postdoctoral position at the Observatoire astronomique de Strasbourg (ObAS) funded through the ERC project GreatDigInTheSky, focusing on the modeling of the Milky Way in the Gaia era. The candidate is expected to explore the observational consequences of exotic dark matter scenarios for the dynamics of the Galaxy in general and on stellar streams in particular. The starting date is flexible, but would typically start around the Fall of 2020.
- establish observational constraints on different exotic dark matter scenarios based on Gaia observations.
- implementation of numerical simulations in different alternative scenarios to compare the simulations with observations.
- evaluation of exotic scenarios including fuzzy dark matter and its consequences for stellar streams, self-interacting dark matter, or dark matter-baryon interactions.
- tests of alternative gravity scenarios.
Applicants will have to hold a PhD degree at the start of the contract, and ideally they should have some experience in:
- numerical simulations in the context of self-interacting dark matter or fuzzy dark matter
- alternative gravity frameworks
- hydrodynamical simulations of galaxy evolution
- experience in related fields (galaxy dynamics)
The successful candidate will be based in the Galhecos team of the astronomical Observatory of Strasbourg (Observatoire astronomique de Strasbourg, ObAS). The Galhecos team is a dynamic and growing team, with many recent and future postdoctoral recruitments, particularly on topics related to the dynamics of galaxies and stellar systems. The ObAS is located on the premises of Strasbourg University - one of the major universities in France - in historical buildings surrounded by a botanical garden, within walking distance from the city center.
Constraints and risks
No particular risks.
The application file should include
i) a CV with list of publications and the names of three persons hat could provide reference letters
ii) a Research Statement of 2 pages ("lettre de motivation").
We talk about it on Twitter!