Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7361-SIMBEN-005
Workplace : MULHOUSE
Date of publication : Tuesday, January 11, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 April 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : rom 2690.43€ to 3099.75€ gross monthly (according to experience, for an experience of less than 2 years) and 3821.07€ gross monthly for an experience between 2 and 7 years.
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The research project concerns the establishment of a research and development strategy for the development, characterization and study of carbonaceous materials (biochars). The objective of the project is to demonstrate the technical feasibility of the production of biochar from digestates and its effectiveness on the performance of in situ ethanation/biomethanation.
The study will focus on the understanding of the impact of process parameters and the nature of the biomass used on the quality of biochars produced on a semi-industrial scale. The characterization results obtained will be compared with those of small-scale biochars produced under stationary operating conditions, so as to calibrate the operating parameters of the pilot unit according to the defined quality of the biochars.
Four main objectives were identified:
- Characterisation of dry digestates: The objective of this part of the project is to acquire a good knowledge of the composition of the selected digestates, in order to correlate it with the final composition and properties of the biochars obtained by pyrolysis under different conditions.
- Optimization of biochar development parameters from methanation digestates: In this second step, the target is the determination of optimal parameters for the production of biochars from methanization digestates by using thermogravimetry under nitrogen flow. The results will be compared with data from the bibliography. The objective is to be able to verify that the biochars obtained present physicochemical characteristics adapted for specific application (soil amendement, méthanisation, adsorption, etc.).
- Characterize the different biochars (elemental analyses, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray spectrometry, nitrogen and carbon dioxide adsorption manometry, Raman spectroscopy)
- Production of biochars on a pilot unit: this task is dedicated to the production of biochars on a pilot unit that can process up to 15 kg of dry matter per hour. The objective is to demonstrate the feasibility of industrial production of biochars from digestates with controlled quality and properties.
The post-doctoral researcher will have all the characterization techniques available on the platform at the IS2M and technical means dedicated to the project (industrial pyrolyser for the preparation of biochars) to successfully carry out his/her research.
Finally, this project, based on the optimization of the biomass recovery process by pyrolysis will enable the researcher to develop complementary and formative scientific and technological skills for thefuture professional integration.
- Initial training and knowledge in industrial processes and analytical techniques
- Experience in applied R&D , systems understanding
- Mastery the techniques of characterization of solid materials;
- One/more research project management experiences would be appreciated
- Writing articles for international journals and mastering the submission and peer-review process.
- Dynamism and autonomy, ability to work in a team environment, ability to coach
- Fluency in written and oral English and French (mandatory) – Level B2 minimum
The workplace is the Institute of Materials Science of Mulhouse (IS2M), it counts 160 personnel staff and 11 technical platforms certified ISO 9001.
The non-permanent researcher will integrate the Transfer, Reactivity, Materials for Clean Processes (TRM2P) team. The TRM2P team is working on energy storage (hydrogen vector and recovery of fatal heat), material and energy recovery of bio-sourced products (development of chars for agronomic, environmental and energy applications), on the development of innovative processes for the synthesis of clay-type lamellar compounds (modulation of synthesis conditions according to the intended application), on the formulation of composite materials for separation, controlled release of active molecules and adsorption of pollutants in the gas and liquid phase, and on the development and use of specific characterization methods (calorimetry,..) and modelling of process-adapted mass and heat transfers (knowledge model,..).
The post-doctoral researcher will benefit from a dynamic environment and, in agreement with his/her hierarchical manager, internal technical training at the IS2M, training courses offered by the CNRS and participation in international congresses to present the results of his/her research. The researcher will have to travel frequently to Colmar for the biochar production at the semi-industrial scale.
Constraints and risks
Large-scale production on a semi-industrial pyrolysis pilot will be carried out in collaboration with CRITT RITTMO, located in Colmar. Regular travelling is therefore expected.
We talk about it on Twitter!