Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7330-YANDON-006
Workplace : AIX EN PROVENCE
Date of publication : Wednesday, April 28, 2021
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 5 July 2021
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Monthly gross salary between 2728.6 and 3145.68 euros
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
A 2-year post-doctoral fellowship funded by the ANR OXYMORE project (PI: Guillaume Suan) is available at the Centre Européen de Recherche et d'Enseignement en Géosciences (CEREGE, Aix en Provence, France) to work with Yannick Donnadieu and his team on the modelling of large hyperthermal events of the Cenozoic and Mesozoic. These simulations will be used to constrain the influence of the hydrological cycle on shallow sea isotope records.
The successful candidate will work on the implementation of numerical simulations with the IPSL-CM5A2 model. The work will consist in defining the appropriate boundary conditions, in particular the land-ocean partitioning, the adaptation of the straits geometry to the numerical grid of the ocean model or the modification of the catchment areas in order to make them consistent with data from the scientific literature. Once the simulations are completed, a detailed analysis of the ocean-atmosphere interactions will be performed to understand the role of the hydrological cycle and surface ocean circulation on the salinity of the shallow seas. Depending on the progress of the work, it will be possible to focus on the sensitivity of the ocean system to create anoxic conditions depending on the paleogeographic context.
• The candidates must hold a PhD in the geosciences, including Paleoclimate, Biogeochemistry, Oceanography or a related science.
• Experience in performing and analyzing experiments with a comprehensive earth system model or other numerical tools (sediment, weathering etc.);
• The candidates should have the ability to work at other locations (weeks) including the IPSL in Paris.
• Ability and desire to work in a closely cooperating team but also independently;
• Excellent communication skills; very good writing proficiency in English;
• Familiarity with coding and running computer models, very good programming skills in Fortran, Python or equivalent and scripting;
• Demonstrable skills with relevance to biogeochemical or Earth system modelling are an advantage.
The position is starting as soon as possible. Gross monthly salary will be between 2728.26 and 3145.68 euros (exact salary will depend on the experience). The contract is for two years with full French social security benefits (medical insurance, unemployment benefit, pension, maternity leave and child benefit)
Constraints and risks
No particular risks are associated to this position
We talk about it on Twitter!