Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7266-BENLEB-001
Workplace : LA ROCHELLE
Date of publication : Thursday, January 10, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 9 months
Expected date of employment : 1 April 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : From 2530 to 2919 euros (gross income)
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
At the CNRS, in the joint research unit Littoral, Environment and Societies (UMR LIENSs 7266), at La Rochelle (France), the researcher will be part of the team BIOFEEL. He/she will have to determine the structure of meiofauna communities in coastal ecosystems. He/she will also determine the food resources used by meiofauna in the Seine River estuary using trophic marker based approaches (combination of stable isotopes and fatty acids). He/she will work under the supervision of Benoit Lebreton, in the framework of the project PHARE-SEE (Productivity of microphytobenthos in intertidal habitats: effects of sediment dynamics, biogeochemistry and benthic macrofauna engineer species. Implications for ecosystem modelisation and restoration of the eastern mudflats in the Seine River estuary) funded by the GIS Seine Aval. This project aims at better determining the production of the microphytobenthos in the bare mudflats of the Seine River estuary, including the relations with the meiofauna.
- Field trips for collection of meiofauna and of potential food sources.
- Extraction of meiofauna (elutriation).
- Taxonomy of meiofauna.
- Preparation of samples and analyses for the determination of their isotope and fatty acid compositions: sorting and packing of samples in cups for the determination of stable isotope compositions; sorting, extraction of lipids, transesterification, purification using flash HPLC and analyses using GC and GC-IRMS for the determination of fatty acid compositions and isotope compositions of specific fatty acids.
- Data treatment.
- Writing of reports and of scientific papers.
- Meetings with the other partners of the projects and the supervisor.
The candidate will have a PhD degree in marine ecology. Knowledge about the functioning of food webs in coastal ecosystems and the use of trophic markers are requested.
- Taxonomy of meiofauna.
- Skills about the procedures for the preparation of samples for the determination of isotope and fatty acid compositions.
- Data treatment, basic statistics and multivariate statistics.
- Writing skills in English.
This position is based at the UMR LIENSs, which is a joint research unit from the CNRS and the University of La Rochelle. The joint research unit LIENSs is an interdisciplinary research unit hosting several research teams focusing in environmental sciences (chemistry, biochemistry, biology, ecology, geology) and in social sciences (history, geography). The research institute hosts 72 researchers and 28 PhD students.
The selected candidate will have to carry out trips on the field, to attend research meetings and to carry out analyses. He/She will have to realize work trips abroad.
The researcher will be under the hierarchic responsibility of Olivier de Viron and under the direct supervision of Benoit Lebreton. He/she will be part of the research team BIOFEEL, in the joint research unit LIENSs.
Constraints and risks
Several field trips and business trips abroad. The candidate will have to work with chemical products, including solvents.
We talk about it on Twitter!