Reference : UMR6502-MICPAR-001
Workplace : NANTES
Date of publication : Friday, November 18, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 11 months
Expected date of employment : 1 March 2023
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Between 2800 € and 4000 € (gross salary) according to experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The position is part of the Iodine-CLEAN-UP project (ANR, 2021-2026). This project aims at designing glass matrices able to store and immobilize a large quantity of 129I from the nuclear industry; in particular, a pressurized synthesis protocol is used to increase the solubilization limit of iodine. Because of its very long half-life (15.7 Ma) and its extreme mobility in the environment, iodine represents an element requiring a specific approach in the context of nuclear waste conditioning.
The person recruited will be in charge of a thorough solid state NMR study of representative samples in order to better understand the mechanisms of iodine incorporation in aluminoborosilicate glasses. In particular, samples will be synthesized with 29Si and 17O isotopic enrichment in order to explore the most advanced solid state NMR techniques.
- Conduct homonuclear and heteronuclear correlation experiments (through space and through chemical bond), such as REDOR, D-HMQC, J-HMQC, J-INADEQUATE, on pairs of nuclei such as 11B/27Al,17O-29Si/11B/27Al, 23Na-11B/27Al or 27Al/11B.
- Data analysis
- Interpret the results in relation to other characterization techniques and synthesis conditions
The candidate must have a PhD in materials science or related field.
The expected skills are
- Strong knowledge and a confirmed practice of high resolution solid state NMR
- Strong background in materials science.
- General knowledge in the field of glasses.
- Ability to interact with the other members of the project (researchers, PhD students) involved in the synthesis and characterization of the samples.
- Ability to disseminate the results by presenting them at consortium meetings and conferences and by writing scientific articles.
The position is located at the Institut des Matériaux de Nantes Jean Rouxel (UMR CNRS-Nantes Université, www.cnrs-imn.fr) which gathers more than 200 people including 120 permanent staff (researchers, engineers, technicians and administrative staff), around 60 PhD students and around 20 post-docs. The laboratory's approach consists of the design, characterization and optimization of new materials with properties for targeted applications. Part of the experiments will be performed at the Laboratoire de Structure et Dynamique par Résonance Magnétique (NIMBE, CEA, Paris-Saclay) equipped with NMR probes (Triple H/X/Y) dedicated to heteronuclear correlation experiments.
Constraints and risks
Part of the experiments will be performed at the Laboratoire de Structure et Dynamique par Résonance Magnétique (NIMBE, CEA, Paris-Saclay)
- Applications consist in a CV, a summary of work experience and the mail addresses of two referees
- the date of employment can be adjusted
- the contract period could be extended to 16 months
We talk about it on Twitter!