Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR5554-JONROM-002
Workplace : MONTPELLIER
Date of publication : Monday, September 27, 2021
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 18 months
Expected date of employment : 1 January 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Between 2600 and 3500€ gross per month depending on experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
Royalty in social insects is typically environmentally acquired rather than genetically determined. However, this is not the case in an exceptional reproductive system, known as social hybridogenesis. Here, two distinct royal lineages of ants can only produce queens by their own while they need to hybridize to produce workers. Eggs with a pure royal genome are thus genetically fated to become queens while hybrid genomes are fated to become workers. The mission of the candidate will be to uncover the exact genetic determinants of this system by using genome/transcriptome sequencing and CRISPR-Cas9 technologies on the harvester ant Messor barbarus. This mission will be central in the recently awarded ERC Starting Grant project "RoyalMess: Evolutionary genomics of royalty in Messor hybridogenetic ants".
- Protocol set up of Crispr-CAS9 micro-injection of ant eggs (main task)
- Genome/transcriptome assemblies and analyses (main task)
- Artificial insemination protocol set up of ant queens (secondary task)
- Breeding of ant colonies (task shared with a technician)
- Fieldwork for ant sampling (secondary task)
- Strong experience with CRISPR-Cas9 technologies is required (preferentially on insects and/or non-model animal species)
- Skills in bioinformatics and management of high throughput sequencing data are strongly recommended
- Experience in writing of research articles (doctorate is strongly recommended but not mandatory for strongly motivated canditates)
- Experience in population genetics, evolutionnary biology or developmental biology will be appreciated
- Experience in insect breeding will be appreciated but not required
- Working autonomy and project management capability
- Team working, communication and student mentoring capability
The candidate will take a central role in the ERC Starting Grant RoyalMess granted to Jonathan Romiguier and will be part of the Phylogeny and Molecular Evolution team (https://isem-evolution.fr/en/equipe/phylogeny-and-molecular-evolution-team/) in the "Institut des Sciences de l'Evolution de Montpellier (ISEM)".
The initial contract of 18 months is renewable up to 48 months. The beginning of the contract will be set depending on the availabilities of the candidate, but should be between end of 2021 and the first part of 2022.
Candidates holding, or shortly expecting to be awarded, a PhD degree in related fields are encouraged to apply. Applicants should have at least one publication as first author. Interested candidates should provide a CV including publication record, a brief description of their research interests and contacts details for two referees.
We talk about it on Twitter!