Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR5275-FABCAR-038
Workplace : GRENOBLE
Date of publication : Monday, May 18, 2020
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 36 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : 2648€ (gross, per month)
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
We are looking for a scientist who will work in the French laboratory ISTerre, within the framework of the ERC THEIA grant, dedicated to the study of flows in planetary liquid cores, such as those of the Earth or the Moon. The goal is to model the effects of these flows on planetary rotation and magnetic fields by combining theoretical, numerical and experimental approaches. Advanced mathematical tools, implemented in a high-performance numerical code, have to be developed, and will be adapted to the context of planetary cores.
- Write a spectral fluid dynamics code in ellipsoid (Galerkin's eigenmode projection).
- Parametrize Ekman pumping in ellipsoid
- Implementing buoyancy using an adapted non-orthogonal coordinate system (Clairaut)
- coupling the code to nonlinear non-modal stability methods for magnetohydrodynamics
- for each methodological advance, draw the consequences in the context of planetary cores
- excellent foundation in fluid mechanics, physics, applied mathematics and deep geophysics.
- good knowledge of Python programming and 3D visualizations (HDF5)
- very good knowledge of numerical spectral and Galerkin methods
- strong motivation, good autonomy and ability to work in a team.
Organized in 9 research teams, the scientific objective of the ISTerre joint unit is the physical and chemical study of planet Earth, with a particular focus on coupling between observations of natural objects, experimentation and modeling of the associated complex processes.
The candidate will work in the Geodynamo team, which focuses on the study of the Earth's magnetic field and the physics of the Earth's core.
We talk about it on Twitter!