Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR5217-RENLAC-001
Workplace : GRENOBLE
Date of publication : Wednesday, July 10, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 1 October 2019
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : monthly gross salary between 2399.48 and 2586.30 € (depending on previous work experience)
Desired level of education : 5-year university degree
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
This job offer corresponds to a research engineer position in the context of the "RainbowFS" collaborative research project funded by ANR (the French national funding agency for research). (http://rainbowfs.lip6.fr)
The overall goal of the RainbowFS project is to study (i) new techniques for the design of geo-distributed, large-scale, storage systems that are safe, efficient and highly available, as well as (ii) the design of applications based on such storage systems.
The main tasks associated with this position are described below.
The engineer will be involved in the development and usage of tools allowing to evaluate/measure the correct operation, the availability and the achieved performance of the distributed storage system.
The main goals of these tools will be to:
- handle the deployment and monitoring of the (client-side and server-side) software components on multiple heterogeneous cloud platforms, in a reliable and efficient way (despite the large scale of the global system, encompassing many machines spread in several data centers).
- help pinpoiting and understanding performance problems in the system.
R&D in computer science (main domains: distributed systems, operating systems, Cloud computing).
The engineer will be strongly involved in the collaborative meetings with the other (academic and industrial) partners of the RainbowFS project, as well as in the production of the project deliverables.
The main activities associated with this position include:
- The design and implementation of research protoypes (for the above-mentioned tools) and the writing of the corresponding documentation.
- The design and conduct of experimental campaigns to test and evaluate the behavior of the storage system.
- The writing of technical and research reports about the outcomes of the work.
Interested candidates are expected to:
- hold a Master 2 degree in Computer Science (more preciseley, a degree from one of the engineering schools in the following list is required: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000036590636&categorieLien=id) or/and a Ph.D. in Computer Science
- have good skills in the following domains: operating systems, computer networks, distributed systems
- have a good command of (spoken and written) English
- have strong communication and teamwork skills
- be interested in working along with researchers (academic researchers and industrial R&D engineers)
Besides, a good knowledge of one or several of the domains listed below would be a plus:
- Cloud computing
- Distributed storage systems
- Virtualization technologies (virtual machines and containers)
- Deployment and monitoring tools for distributed systems
- Testing tools for distributed systems
- Techniques for performance evaluation and optimization of distributed systems
This position is to be held at LIG (Grenoble Laboratory for Research in Computer Science - http://www.liglab.fr) located in Grenoble, France, within the ERODS research group.
The recruited engineer will also have frequent interactions with the other (academic and industrial) partners of the above-mentioned "RainbowFS" research project.
Constraints and risks
- Working in front of a computer screen (ergonomics).
- Some trips (in France) will be required to attend occasional technical and scientific meetings.
We talk about it on Twitter!