Reference : UMR5169-MARPEL1-003
Workplace : TOULOUSE
Date of publication : Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2022
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Gross monthly salary between 2663.79 € and 3783.24 €.
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 1 to 4 years
The postdoctoral fellow will contribute to the ERC Advanced Project COGNIBRAINS, which aims at elucidating the neural mechanisms underlying simple and high-level forms of visual learning in the brain of bees, placed in a virtual reality environment. His/her mission will consist in providing electrophysiological data and analyses obtained from in vivo recordings of brain activity in bees solving learning discriminations in a virtual arena.
- Conducting multi-electrode recordings of brain activity in vivo, coupled to behavioral analyses of bee visual learning in a virtual reality environment.
- Processing and analysis of electrophysiological signals and behavioral recordings obtained.
- Production of a significant outcome in terms of publications, presentations to congresses, etc. T
- Training and supervision of master and PhD students, etc
- Proven expertise in multi-electrode electrophysiological recordings applied to the central nervous system of insects. In-depth knowledge of insect neuroanatomy, neuronal staining techniques and analyses of electrophysiological signals.
- Expertise in the statistical processing of data obtained in electrophysiological and behavioral experiments.
- Conducting behavioral experiments on the visual learning of bees in a virtual-reality environment.
- Knowledge of fundamental aspects of learning and memory theories and of the neural circuits that underlie these abilities in the brain of invertebrates.
The research work will be carried out at the Centre de Recherches sur la Cognition Animale, a CNRS institute specialized in the study of cognition (learning, memory and sensory perception) in animals (dir. C. RAMPON; see http://crca.cbi-toulouse.fr/). The recruited person will be part of the EXPLAIN team (dirs. M. GIURFA & JM DEVAUD) working on learning and memory in insects, in particular on bees (see http://cbi-toulouse.fr/fr/equipe-giurfa-devaud). The research project is part of the ERC Advanced Grant of M. Giurfa COGNIBRAINS, aimed at understanding the principles of coding and visual learning in virtual reality in bees. See https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/835032/fr.
The postdoctoral fellow will have an electrophysiological recording device dedicated entirely to the ERC project, and virtual reality devices for the study of visual learning in bees. He/she will also have office space and access to computer facilities to carry out his/her research.
Constraints and risks
Established time requirements of 7h42 per day, 5 days per week.
The postdoc will also participate in the regular meetings of the ERC consortium involved in this project (two other postdocs, one research engineer and one study engineer) as well as in the regular meetings, conferences, seminars, etc. in which the host team participates.
Face au risque éventuel de piqûres d'abeilles, personnes allergiques s'abstenir.
We talk about it on Twitter!