Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR5133-REMCRA-001
Workplace : LYON 07
Date of publication : Tuesday, November 10, 2020
Type of Contract : FTC Technical / Administrative
Contract Period : 12 months
Expected date of employment : 4 January 2021
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : €2,800 to €3,300 gross monthly
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : 5 to 10 years
Alongside the scientific coordinators of a large-scale archaeological exploration project in an oasis in Saudi Arabia, the project manager assists them in project coordination. His/her role is to facilitate the general feasibility of the project in accordance with the terms of the research contracts. These functions cover the administrative and financial management of the project, as well as assistance with scientific coordination, logistical organization, maintaining good relations with local stakeholders and archaeological surveys and excavations.
Coordination and administrative and financial management of projects:
- Liaise between the two coordinators, the funders and the local authorities. Establish means of communication and develop effective working relationships with the various project stakeholders, inform them of the progress of the project, and ensure compliance with the various deadlines required for the submission of deliverables. Develop a data management plan and the tools necessary for monitoring and managing the project.
- Perform budget monitoring and, if necessary, suggest adjustments.
- Ensure the administrative and logistical organization of field expeditions, from France and on site in Arabia.
- Help to resolve the difficulties in the management of the project and ensure good relations with the local populations.
- Assist the coordinators in their tasks: coordination of the project, monitoring of the work plan, participation in the drafting, editing and layout of activity reports.
- Take charge of the operations of archaeological surveys and excavations, from the installation to the publication.
- Participate in data management (database) and their valuation (writing, editing, distribution).
- Preferred PhD level or Master, training in archeology.
- Mastery of office tools (Word, Excel), CAD, DTP, databases, editing software and GIS.
- Excellent level of English and French; good knowledge of Arabic appreciated.
- Rigor, sense of organization, autonomy and responsiveness; ability to work in a foreign environment (many fieldworks and trips to Saudi Arabia).
The Khaybar Oasis, located in western Saudi Arabia, is a hotbed of local history. It has been preserved for millennia, and its human occupation seems to have been virtually uninterrupted from earliest prehistoric times to the present day. The new Khaybar archaeological survey and excavation project began in October 2020, until the end of 2024. The project is co-directed by G. Charloux (CNRS, UMR-8167 Orient & Méditerranée) and R. Crassard (CNRS, UMR-5133 Archéorient); it is funded by the French Agency for the Development of AlUla (Afalula, France), in partnership with the Royal Commission for AlUla (RCU, Saudi Arabia). The main objective of the project is to provide new archaeological documentation to understand human occupation and the environmental dynamics of the Khaybar oasis over time.
The position will be based in Lyon, within the Archéorient laboratory (CNRS / Lyon 2). It will also involve trips to Paris (in collaboration with the Orient & Méditerranée laboratory) and to the Jalès d'Archéorient branch in the south of the Ardèche. The project manager will be called upon to participate in all field missions (minimum three months per year) where she/he will contribute to the organization and financial management of the mission, as well as to scientific field operations.
Fixed-term contract of 1 year (renewable over 4 years) from January 4, 2021.
Remuneration according to experience, based on the CNRS “ingénieur de recherche” index.
Recruitment will be done by videoconference in early December 2020.
We talk about it on Twitter!