Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR7550-NICMAR-003
Workplace : STRASBOURG
Date of publication : Friday, November 29, 2019
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2020
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : From 2643.22€ gross salary, based on experience.
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
We are opening a 2-year postdoctoral position at the Observatoire astronomique de Strasbourg (ObAS), funded through a CNRS/ANR grant for the Pristine project. The selected candidate will work with Nicolas Martin and Rodrigo Ibata on the study of Milky Way halo stellar structures within the broader framework of the Pristine international collaboration that aims to map the distribution of the oldest stars in the Milky Way.
- joint analysis of the distribution of metal-poor stars discovered with Pristine and stellar streams found with the STREAMFINDER project
- optimization of the search for stellar streams by combining the Pristine data with the Gaia data
- spectroscopic follow-up of metal-poor stars that are members of stellar streams to study their chemistry
Any candidate holding a PhD and with
- experience with Galactic physics
- knowledge of Galactic dynamics
- knowledge of large surveys of the Milky Way sky, in particular Gaia
- experience with the spectroscopic analysis of the chemistry of stars
will be considered.
The successful candidates will join the "Galhecos" team at the ObAS. Galhecos is a dynamic and growing team, with many recent and future postdoctoral recruitments, particularly on topics related to the dynamics of galaxies and stellar systems. The ObAS is located on the premises of Strasbourg University - one of the major universities in France - in historical buildings surrounded by a botanical garden, and within walking distance of the medieval city center.
Constraints and risks
No particular risk.
Applications should include:
i) a CV, including the candidate's list of publications and the names of three professional references (include their email addresses) who are able to submit letters of recommendation for the candidate
ii) a two-page research statement
We talk about it on Twitter!