Faites connaître cette offre !
Reference : UMR6294-GRELEM-001
Workplace : LE HAVRE
Date of publication : Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 14 months
Expected date of employment : 1 July 2021
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : Between 2600€ and 3700€ based on previous experience
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The applicant will participate in a research project on turbulence in active fluids.
Since few years, a new class of turbulence has been described in active particles suspensions: mesoscale turbulence. It has been observed in biological systems where inertia is negligible (Re~1e6). This new kind of turbulence is driven by the continuous injection of energy by the constituents of the active fluid. It has been observed in numerous biological systems (bacteria suspensions, cellular mono layer,...)
In parallel, our understanding of inertial turbulence changed radically with the emergence of a new theoretical framework based on the knowledge of invariant solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations. This dynamical system approach allows to explain the emergence of a spatio-temporal complex dynamics as well as the self sustaining process of inertial turbulence.
This project aims at applying this new theoretical tools to mesoscale turbulence. In particular, it aims at identifying a self sustaining cycle and invariant solutions in active suspensions.
The applicant will:
- grow bacteria
- observe active suspensions under a microscope
- analyse obtained images to extract velocity fields (PIV)
- analyse obtained velocity fields in the framework of dynamical systems
- write scientific articles intended to be published
- present his/her work in national/international conferences
The applicants should:
- have a strong background in fluid dynamics, ideally with experience using PIV (Particle Image Velocimetry)
- have a background in biology, ideally with experience in bacteria/cellular culture
- speak/write english
The applicant will work at the Laboratoire Ondes et Milieux Complexes in the team Instabiilities and Transition to Turbulence.
The team is composed of 4 permanent researchers an 4-6 non permanent researchers.
The biological part of the project will be done in partnership whith the SEBIO laboratory from Le Havre Normandy University.
We talk about it on Twitter!